Thursday, June 12, 2008

Charlottesville, VA

Hi

Trip miles: 421
Daily miles 421

A couple of observations:
  • Living in NYC or right on the Atlantic Ocean you don't fully appreciate the battles of the Civil War, since they happened further inland. Although I've read about them in history books I didn't know how close Gettysburg is to Antietam and the fields of the Shenandoah Valley. It was quite sobering to drive past those areas - similar to the feeling I got visiting the Normandy beaches.
  • I-64 through the Blue Ridge Mountains between the I-81 junction and Charlottesville is one of the most beautiful pieces of interstate I have ever seen.
  • There are a lot of ads for upgrading your truck when you get to Pennsylvania. I really wanted to know how much chrome you can buy in the chrome shop.
  • The SPOT tracking system is pretty cool. Although the updates are somewhat erratic it's still impressive to see your position fixes. I tried to put the link in the header but it's too long. Here it is:

No comments: