Friday, June 13, 2008

Knoxville, TN

Trip miles 813
Daily miles 392

The American interstate highway system is awesome. I knew that this infrastructure revolutionized American society when it was done (in many good ways and some bad), but I didn't appreciate how big the change must have been at the time it was built. Journeys between large cities changed from laborious affairs on slow single lane roads to things feasible in a day or so. It made modern America possible, and could even have had a greater impact than air travel for day to day life.

I now find the argument that the US should invest in a broadband infrastructure of the same scale as the interstate highways system was in the day to be a lot more compelling. If the US did a South Korean type buildout such that the majority of the US had serious (20MB+) broadband I'm sure it would have a huge net benefit, far greater than the various stimulus packages being handed out piecemeal in DC.

BTW the road surface of I-81 and I-40 is far better than that of the roads in the NY area, probably due to lack of freezing. A stunning drive.






No comments: